Basanti Pulao, also known as Mishti Pulao is a Bengali festive delight. A fragrant rice dish along with the goodness of raisins and cashew nuts give a royal touch to this Pulao recipe.
3 Cups Rice (cleaned, washed)
30 Cashew nuts
4 inch Cinnamon stick (Dalchini
2 Cardamom seeds
3 Bay leaves
2 1/2 TSP Turmeric powder
2 TSP Ginger, grated
1 TBSP Sugar
2 TBSP Ghee
How to Make Basanti Pulao
- Wash and clean the rice and drain the water.
- Smear the rice well with ghee and turmeric powder. Keep it covered for half an hour.
- Fry the raisins and the cashews in heated ghee mixed with vegetable oil.
- Keep the fried raisin and cashew aside. Add more ghee into the pan and when heated add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the grated ginger or ginger paste and fry a little.
- Add the rice, stir gently to mix with the flavours. Pour 6 cups of warm water along with salt and sugar.
- When the water dries up and the rice is well-cooked add the cashews and raisins.
- Pour rest of the ghee, mix gently and cover the pot. Turn of the flame.
- Serve Basanti Pulao hot.