Dhanurasana or the Bow Pose is one of the 12 basic Hatha Yoga poses. It is also one of the three main back stretching exercises. It gives the entire back a good stretch, thus imparting flexibility as well as strength to the back.
Dhanurasana is very effective in weight loss program. It is a basic posture of Hatha yoga. In this exercise, our body poses look like the shape of the Dhanush (bow). So it is called as Dhanurasana in Sanskrit. It helps to reduce belly fat fast. It Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest and abdominal organs and spinal cord.
- Lie on the ground (on stomach) facing downwards.
- Relax completely with 2-3 breaths.
- Inhale slowly and starts bending your legs backwards and catch the ankles with the hands as shown in the above image.
- You will see that your body is now in the shape of a bow.
- In this position, your whole weight will come on your abdomen. Only your stomach and pelvic area will touch the ground.
- Hold this position for few 15-20 seconds and continue taking a deep breath. You can increase the time after practising this.
- Now after 15-20 seconds exhale slowly and come back to starting position.
- Repeat this cycle for 4- 5 times daily.
- Effective in weight loss.
- Improves digestion and appetite.
- Helps to cure dyspepsia (obesity), rheumatism and gastrointestinal problems.
- Cures constipation.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Gives flexibility to the back.
- Strengthens back muscles.
- Improve the function of liver, pancreas, small intestine, and big intestine.
- Act as a stress reliever.
- Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest, and abdominal organs.
- Cure menstruation disorder.
- Improves the function of kidney and liver.
- It improves posture.
- Releases back pain.
- Cures respiratory disorder like asthma.
- Helpful is stimulating reproductive organs.
- Improves the function of the pancreas and it is beneficial in diabetes.
- The person suffering from high blood pressure, back pain, hernia, headache, migraine or abdomen surgery should not do practice Dhanurasana.
- Ladies should not practice yoga during pregnancy and in periods.